Hina Mauka’s volunteers are integral to our success in helping those who are recovering from alcohol and drug addiction. Our volunteers assist our clients and staff in many important and equally appreciated ways, from acting as mentors to providing clerical and facilities support to participating in our internship program.
Hiki Ni‘o Mentoring Program
Hina Mauka’s Hiki Ni‘o mentors are volunteers who act as good role models for individuals recovering from addiction. They set an example of the life skills, attitudes and work ethic needed to be a productive citizen. We provide all the necessary training and support. Mentors meet once per week with an individual in our residential or outpatient treatment program to:
• Serve as friend, listener, reflector, connector and guide to program participants
• Encourage self-confidence
• Support career aspirations
• Promote a positive focus towards the future
• Offer caring support and direction
• Assist program participants in accessing community resources
• Share your knowledge and life experiences to help a client in recovery
If you are interested in joining our mentoring team and are age 21 or older, motivated to help others and have good interpersonal skills, please contact Kristal Brown our Peer Mentor Coordinator @ firstname.lastname@example.org or (808) 447-5282
Clerical and Facilities Support
Help Hina Mauka continue to run smoothly, reach out to our community and donors and provide a safe and comfortable environment for our clients. Duties, based on the individual’s skills, may include:
• Typing, copying, filing, data entry, faxing
• Assist with mailings and compiling marketing materials
• Technical assistance with computers and mobile devices
• Painting, light house cleaning and moving office equipment and furniture
Treatment Associate Clinical Intern (Practicum Student)
• Assist the clinical staff to carry out the direct therapeutic interaction with clients, in accordance with the Hina Mauka policies and procedures.
• Share the responsibility for the safety and well being of the Hina Mauka clients.
• Protect the confidentiality of clients and client records in accordance with provisions of 42CFR part 2.
Requirements for Volunteers
Individuals who are recovering from alcohol or chemical dependency or any behavioral disorder must have at least three years of continuous recovery in order to be eligible to participate in the Hina Mauka volunteer or intern program.
Volunteers must also
• Commit to one four-hour shift per week
• Provide current two-step TB test or X-ray (done within last year)
• Provide medical infectious disease clearance and physical from a physician (forms will be provided)
• Provide copy of Medical Insurance Card
• Complete the Safety Orientation with our Facilities/Safety Manager
• Miscellaneous forms (forms will be provided)
• Abide by Hina Mauka’s dress code of business attire/aloha wear. No slippers or beachwear (however, Friday is casual dress day).